A nutritious, balanced snack can help keep you energised between meals. Small, nutritious snacks can also help control your hunger at mealtimes, which means you might get by with a smaller portion.
One problem with the way many of us snack, however, is that we tend to do it on the run. Rather than planning our snacks, we simply wait for the craving to strike. For most of us it’s too easy to find a corner store, a vending machine or even our own kitchen cupboards to satisfy our cravings with foods that are loaded with fat, salt or sugar. So, here are some suggestions for some alternatives of nutritious snacks that can satisfy whatever you’re craving.
If You’re Craving a Creamy Snack
Foods with a creamy, smooth texture are pleasurable to eat, and many people associate them with comfort. If you’re looking to satisfy your craving by turning to rich ice cream or high-fat cheeses, then you might want to try one of these alternatives.
- Yoghurt. Try plain non-fat yoghurt mixed with a little honey or maple syrup and topped with fresh fruit.
- Frozen banana. Peel bananas then wrap in waxed paper and freeze. Slice and eat or buzz quickly in the blender for a “one ingredient” ice cream-like treat.
- Low-fat ricotta cheese. Blend with a little fruit and a dash of sweetener for a pudding-like treat with some hunger-busting protein.
- Frozen yoghurt pop. Blend vanilla yoghurt with fruit until smooth and pour into ice pop moulds and freeze.
If You’re Craving a Sweet Snack
Sometimes we crave sweets when our energy level is taking a dive, or we turn to sweets as a treat or a reward. However, the calorie cost of many sweets can be really high. Here are some tips to satisfy the craving without breaking the bank.
- Cooked fruit. The texture of cooked fruit makes it seem more dessert-like. Try running grapefruit or orange halves under the broiler, roasting peaches or pineapple in the oven, or cooking sliced apples or plums until tender with a spicy-sweet cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Cafe latte. Have your latte made with non-fat or low-fat milk and add a little bit of sweetener and cocoa powder.
- Herbalife Nutrition Formula 1 Nutritional Shake Mix, Dutch Chocolate. A delicious meal replacement shake made with skim or soy milk to satisfy your cravings for chocolate and help control hunger throughout the day.
- Herbalife Nutrition Protein Bar. When you’re craving a candy bar, a Herbalife Nutrition Protein Bar is a much better choice: it can satisfy your craving for something sweet and help control hunger.
If You’re Craving a Crunchy or Savoury Snack
The craving for foods that are crunchy and salty are sometimes triggered by frustration or stress. That’s because the act of chewing and working the jaw muscles actually relieve tension.
- Cottage cheese dip. Whirl non-fat or low-fat cottage cheese in the blender until smooth. Stir in a little dark mustard and use as a dip for crunchy veggies.
- Popcorn. After popping, dust with a little low-fat Parmesan cheese or chilli powder.
- Pistachio nuts or sunflower seeds in the shell. Nuts and seeds contain healthy fats, but the calories can add up quickly. If you choose pistachios or sunflower seeds in their shells, it will take some time to crack them open, which can help you control the amount you eat.